CLEANING — Printable Version
Walls must be cleaned on a daily basis as block laying
Masonry surfaces clean most effectively if the cleaning is
done within 14-28 days after masonry installation. Mortar
and grout smears that remain on the surface for a longer time
result in a more difficult cleandown and may cause undesirable
Final cleandown of masonry surfaces should be completed before
installation of windows, doors, hardware, light fixtures,
roofing materials and any other non-masonry item that may
be damaged by the cleaning product. If such fixtures have
been installed, they must be protected before the cleaner
is applied. All caulking and sealant materials
should be in place and thoroughly cured before cleaning begins.
Protect all surrounding metal and non-masonry materials,
painted surfaces and plant life from contact with the cleaner,
residue or fumes.
Use Burnished Custom Masonry Cleaner by PROSOCO following
manufacturer's instructions (dilute one part to 3 parts clean
water). Available at Trenwyth Industries. Do not powerwash.
use muriatic acid on units.
Prior to overall application, always test the cleaner (minimum
4' x 4' area) to ensure suitability and desired results. Test
each type of masonry and each type of stain. Allow test area
to dry for 3 – 7 days before inspection and approval
by the project architect or building owner. Clean test areas
according to the application below and always
make the test panel available throughout the cleaning project.
- Always pour cold water into an empty bucket first before
carefully adding detergent.
- Never use hot water.
- Handle in polyethylene or rubber buckets only.
- Acidic materials and fumes will attack metal.
Exterior Test Application
The following cleaning procedure is recommended unless
otherwise indicated during testing:
- Thoroughly saturate a large portion of the masonry surface
with clean water.
- Using a densely-packed, soft-fibered masonry washing brush
or low-pressure spray (50 psi maximum), apply diluted solution
freely. (Do not apply Burnished Custom Masonry Cleaner with
pressure spray above 50 psi. Such an application will drive
the chemicals deep into the surfaces making it more difficult
to rinse completely.)
- Depending on the absorption rate of masonry and drying
conditions, allow cleaning solution to remain on the wall
for approximately five (5) minutes. Do not allow cleaner
to dry into the masonry because it may leave a residue and
- Keep walls clean by using brushes or rags and the burlap
squares supplied on the Trendstone pallets.
- Do not allow excess mortar lumps or smears to harden
on the finished surfaces.
- Remove green mortar with burlap or a dry cloth.
- Wipe masonry blocks clean with burlap (provided with every
other cube) as the blocks are laid each day.
- Protect stored materials and the wall prior to completion
to prevent excessive water entry and external soiling.
- Protect the exposed portions of metal fixtures. (Harsh
cleaning methods after walls have been erected may mar the
surface of the blocks.)
- Protect adjacent masonry and floor area by saturating
with water and flushing away any cleaning solution before
- Two plastic or hard rubber buckets
- Rubber gloves
- Soft fiber masonry brushes (or whitewash brushes)
- Wooden, plastic or other soft, non-staining scraping device
- Supply of “clean” wipers, such as lint-free
cloths or paper towels
- Clean water
- Burnished Custom Masonry Cleaner (dilute one part to 15
parts of clean water). Do not apply Burnished Custom Masonry
Cleaner with pressure spray above 50 psi. It will cause
- DO NOT USE ACID OR CLEANER WITH HCL BASE.
Cleaning Procedure 1
- Brush clean water liberally on the surface area to be
cleaned. Brush approximately one square yard at a time.
- It is important that the masonry wall be kept wet at all
times. Do not use dirty water.
- Apply cleaning solution brushing in a circular motion
to remove any unwanted mortar smears.
- Remove excess lumps of mortar with the soft (wood or plastic)
scraping device and re-apply cleaning solution.
- Allow cleaning solution to remain on the surface for two
or three minutes then wash off with liberal amounts of fresh,
- Wipe the walls down completely dry with clean, dry wipers.
Cleaning Procedure 2
If liberal amounts of water cannot be used, an alternative
procedure may be employed.
- Soak a clean wiper in the cleaning solution. Wring it
out so it is wet enough to dampen the surface, but dry enough
so that the solution will not run down the wall.
- Allow the solution to remain on the surface for two or
three minutes. Remove excess lumps of mortar with the soft
scraping device and repeat Step #1.
- Wipe the wall completely dry with clean, dry wipers.
Note: To remove mortar smears that have
been allowed to harden on the wall and cannot be removed by
following the procedures listed above, a solution of Burnished
Custom Masonry Cleaner by PROSOCO may be used with a dilution
ratio of 1 part cleaner to 3 parts clean water, strictly following
use muriatic acid solutions on Trendstone units.
Clean the completed walls with a detergent masonry
cleaner strictly following the manufacturer's instructions
including thorough rinsing. Do not use acid or abrasives on
the block surfaces. For stubborn mortar stains or smears,
a 3:1 solution
of Burnished Custom Masonry Cleaner by PROSOCO may be used
as long as the walls are thoroughly wetted with clean water
before applying the cleaning solution and thoroughly rinsed
with clean water immediately after washing. Failure to strictly
follow manufacturer’s instructions can result in permanent
damage to the finished faces. DO NOT POWERWASH .
Trendstone units, properly installed and cleaned, need virtually
no maintenance other than routine cleaning with standard commercial
grade cleaning agents such as PINESOL® or FANTASTIK®.
Graffiti, paint or dye may need special cleaning methods and
products such as Trenwyth's Graffiti Wizard® environmentally
friendly cleaner. Contact manufacturer for specific cleaning
recommendations. DO NOT POWERWASH.
Field Coat Application
For completely finished walls, a finish coat of TRENDCOAT®
Acrylic (minimum 20% solids content) or TRENDCOAT® WB
(water-base) is recommended. Apply to all Trendstone walls
after cleandown and when the walls are dry. Apply the acrylic
evenly to cover the entire surface without forming drips or
runs. For maximum coverage and best appearance, apply TRENDCOAT
Acrylic or TRENDCOAT WB with airless spray equipment. Consult
Trenwyth Industries for further information. This clear, high-solids
acrylic offers excellent graffiti resistance, provides moisture
resistance and helps to cover any scuffs or scratches that
may occur during handling and/or installation.
Graffiti Removal Recommendation
Graffiti Wizard environmentally friendly cleaner removes
most paints and permanent markers, varnish, glue, crayon,
oil, grease, food spills, etc. from Trendstone surfaces. Apply
Graffiti Wizard using a brush or cloth. Let stand 10 second
to 20 minutes, depending on the severity of the stain. If
using on a more porous or textured surface, a non-metallic
stiff bristle brush may be required. Wipe the surface with
a damp cloth. After the stain is removed, neutralize the surface
with water making sure that all of the Graffiti Wizard is
removed from the surface. Graffiti Wizard is available from
Trenwyth Industries in 4-oz., 12-oz., 1 gallon and 5 gallon
containers. To order, call (800) 233-1924 and ask for the
Sample Department. Always follow manufacturer's safety precautions.